Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day Four - Annual Knit & Crochet Blog Week - #KCBW6DAY4

BAGS OF FUN
#KCBW6

Today is Day 4 of the 6th Annual Knit & Crochet Blog Week

Today is all about Bags of Fun!!  What is in my knitting/crochet bag and the tools of the trade that I use.

Well... here is my bag.  It is rather large and holds my current work in progress. It is very sturdy and I think it is super cute.  I got it at JoAnn's Arts and Craft for $1.99.



 Isn't it cute?  I love the colorful design.  Here is a close up.

Plus, if you peek inside, you can see that it is pretty roomy and holds quite a bit.

This is my favorite set of crochet hooks.  They were also my very first set of hooks.  I got them at K-Mart back in the day when K-Mart still had a great craft section.  They are Boye hooks but you can't find them like this anymore (click on the picture for a closer view).  You can see there is a hook for every size D through J.  These were made even before they started putting the "mm" size on them so they just say Boye on one side and "G" (or whatever size it is) on the other.  I love them and they are very special to me.



Now, I do have some other hooks I enjoy using.  I keep them stored in this cute little "recycle bin" container that I got at the Dollar Tree.  I have 2 of them that light up (the pink and purple ones you see there) which are great for black or dark blue yarn.  I have 3 that have a nice soft cushy handle and find myself using these more and more.

They are from the Crochet Dude's line of hooks (also from Boye).  They are so comfortable to hold and work with.  The others are just some extras I picked up here and there, mostly when I was out of town and found myself needing to work on a project but hadn't brought one along with me.  The pinkish looking one near the bottom of the 2nd photo below is a Susan Bates hook.  I heard so many people raving about how they preferred them to a Boye so I decided to give it a try.  My yarn kept slipping out of the loop, over and over and over and I decided Susan Bate hooks were not for me but I kept this one - you never know, right?



Now...I have some knitting tools too, of course.  First up....my knitting storage box.  It is a small plastic box where I keep all my small tools of the trade.  How do you like my label with the little scarf and sock?


Inside is full of goodies - my cable needles, my Susan Bates Knit Check (which you can use to check your needle size and your gauge (note - for this - I prefer the Susan Bates one), my row counter, stitch markers and yarn needles. Just those lose items you need when knitting.


Now, I have a great knitting needle case that I got on clearance a few years ago at Hobby Lobby.  I think I paid $ 2 for it.  It was a great investment and keeps my needles right where I need them and they are good and organized. It zips up to keep them secure and it is purple (the best color ever!)

 As you can see...I prefer bamboo needles.  I only have one pair of circular and one set of double-pointed.  I am not a sock knitter so really don't have a great need for double pointed and most the hats I knit are knitted flat and don't require them.  Notice:  I have another Susan Bates Knit Check in the case.  I got this one free from my local knitting store.  It is always good to have a spare.


Now anyone who knits or crochets must have a very important tool.  I great pair of scissors. I no longer have my favorite scissors so I had to get a new pair but I love them so that worked out ok.  Notice the nice pretty color (my previous ones were orange).  They are super sharp and work great on all kinds of yarn.  Plus...they match my knitting needle case and project bag.


Well...That is what is in my Bag of Fun!!  If you are a crafter, what kind of tools of the trade do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment