Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

DIY Saturday - New Backsplash

When I moved into my house, it had this cute country print wallpaper on it in the kitchen.  My mother had put it up probably in the 1980s (I bought my house from my parents when they retired back to their hometown in Florida)

It wasn't really my taste and I wanted to change it for a long time but just didn't know what to change it to...plus it didn't really bother me that much since my mom put it up and it makes me think of her.



 Cute, right?  But country and not me at all.  Here are a couple of more BEFORE photos.





It looked okay and as much as I didn't want to cover up something my mom had done, even she agreed that it was time for a change.  So.....I found this cool company called Dali Decals.  They sell these decals called Modern Mosaics.

So...I thought, hey why not give that a try.  I wanted a tile look as my backsplash but didn't want the expense and the work that came with it...so why not try this?  Much, much, much cheaper than tiles.  When I ordered it - it was delivered in a big roll...like this


I chose the color scheme called San Clemente because it matches my vintage 1950s dishes and pyrex and had the teal color I wanted but wasn't toooooo teal - just enough.  I love teal and brown together so this was perfect.  If you don't like the colors they have, they will custom make the color scheme you want.

So...my friend Susan came to visit and help me put it up (you need 2 people - trust me on this).  I couldn't have done this by myself. We measured, measured again and measured again...what is that saying "Measure twice, cut once" or something like that.  We measured many times because we wanted to get it right.

Then it was as simple as cutting to size and putting it up and slowly peeling of the back, It is really just a big sticker so to speak.  Kind of like scrapbooking on the wall - haha!






So what do you think?  It is really much prettier in person and really looks like tiles - I LOVE IT !!
























No comments:

Post a Comment