Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Brown Sugar Pie

I am going to try to make some of the recipes that I have "pinned" on Pinterest.  This week, I decided to make something for my sweet tooth.  I settled on Brown Sugar Pie.  I like brown sugar, I like pie so why not?

I found the recipe on A Southern Grace.  I did have a few problems with it.  First, the recipe doesn't specify to use light or dark brown sugar. I chose to use light brown.  It probably doesn't matter which one you use but based on my photos compared to her's, I concluded that she must have used dark brown.  In addition, it didn't mention if you should pack the brown sugar or not.  Since most recipes with brown sugar say to pack it, I did that.

Also, it doesn't indicate if you should bake the pie shell first or not (some recipes require it, others don't) so I decided not to pre-bake the pie shell, which I think was the right decision.


Brown Sugar Pie
(adapted from: A Southern Grace)

3 cups brown sugar (I used light but I think dark would be fine)
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, melted and slightly cooled
3 eggs, beaten well
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
2 regular 9-inch pie crusts or 1 deep-dish pie crust (I used deep-dish and didn't pre-bake)




In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and salt. Be sure to break up any clumps of brown sugar. (Note: I didn't have enough brown sugar, so I used 2 cups brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar).  




In a smaller bowl, mix together the melted margarine, beaten eggs, vanilla, and milk; beat well. (I obviously should have used a larger bowl for this step!)


Add this wet mixture to the brown sugar mixture and blend very well with a handheld mixer. Pour into the pie crust(s) and bake at 350F for about 30 minutes for a regular crust, 60-70 minutes for a deep-dish crust, or until set (just a wee bit wobbly) in the middle. 

My version was TOO wobbly - the whole thing, not just the middle, probably because of the use of the white sugar I am guessing.  So....I turned the oven off and let it sit in the oven for a couple of more hours.  It finally set and was only a little wobbly in the middle, as it should have been.  Also, it was a bit browner.


Let cool completely before slicing and serving.


This pie was very sweet, as you can imagine, and to me, it tasted like a very sweet chess pie (I love chess pie).  It was good but not sure I will make it again since I would rather just have a regular chess pie.  


No comments:

Post a Comment