Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Paula Deen's Chicken Divan (Slightly Modified)

 Photo: PaulaDeen.com

This is one of my favorite recipes but I don't make it very often because .... well... quit frankly it is not  a very healthy dish.  You can lighten it up a little by using low fat soup, mayo, sour cream and cheddar cheese but honestly it is better with the "regular"full-fat versions.  However, if you are interested in a lighter version, check out hellawella.com.

So...therefore it is just something I have once in a while - maybe once or twice a year.  It is really great for company.

I got this out of my Lady & Son's Cookbook.  I bought this at her original Lady & Son's restaurant about a year before the world knew who Paula Deen was.  My mom had heard about the place through some friends and I was in Savannah with my mom and dad for the weekend and we decided to give it a try.  Those were the days when she actually worked there.  She wasn't there the night we went but her youngest son Bobby was the host and her oldest son, Jamie was keeping the buffet full by bringing out the food from the kitchen.  Little did we know how famous she, her sons and her recipes would become!

Original Lady & Sons

I know there was a lot of controversy last year about her but I have met her (and her sons) a time or two.  They are nice and friendly (well the time I met Jamie (at a book signing) - he wasn't exactly overly friendly - he wasn't mean but he wasn't as friendly as Bobby - Jamie was ticked because he was having to miss the Georgia game.

I'll have to dig through my photos and fine the ones with me and my sis with Paula and the other one with Jamie & Bobby.  Anyway..  back to the recipe.

Chicken Divan

2   (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped
6 cup shredded chicken, cooked
2 (10 3/4 -ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth, which is what I use)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoon butter, melted
salt and pepper, to taste

Remove the outer wrappers from the boxes of broccoli. Open one end of each box. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, until thawed.  Drain the broccoli and put into a 11 x 9 casserole dish that has been prepared with a non stick cooking spray. Top with shredded chicken.



In a medium bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste, and wine (or broth).  Whisk together to make a sauce.  Pour the sauce over the broccoli and chicken.  Spread well with a spatula.


Pat down evenly and smooth with a spatula.  In a small mixing bowl, stir together the Parmesan & Cheddar cheeses, bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the top.


Bake for about 30-45 minutes and ta-da - have a Divine Chicken Divan Dinner !



No comments:

Post a Comment